The Garden has seasonal walks throughout the year. Check back often to see what’s currently scheduled. Docents are volunteers and a tour is based on their availability. If an emergency arises and a docent is not available, you are welcome to enjoy a self-guided visit.
Native Plant Walks
Explore our 11-acre Texas Native Trail with a Master Naturalist. This area has its own distinctive and diverse ecological region of Texas, varying in soil, plant life, topography, and weather. There are more than 250 plant species in collections that represent three ecosystems. In the East Texas Pineywoods, visitors find Pines, Sweetgum, Sassafras, and other acidic soil-loving woodland species. The Hill Country area features Live Oaks, Juniper, Texas Mountain Laurel, Eve’s necklace, Blanco Crabapple, Possum Haw, Hop-tree, Uvalde Maples, and other limestone tolerant plants. In the South Texas region, Dryland trees and thorny brush such as Torchwood, Mexican Olive, mesquite, Texas Ebony, and Huisaache thrive. On this Walk you’ll learn about the medicinal uses of native plants as well as their historical and cultural uses, and which are favored by birds, butterflies and other wildlife.
Meet at the Carriage House. Tour leaves at 10 am Walk is free to members or with paid admission, but registration is required.
Upcoming Native Plant Walks
- Friday, April 7th: Seasonal Highlights with Guide Jessica Leslie, Master Naturalist
- Friday, May 19th: Texas Hill Country with Guide Jessica Leslie, Master Naturalist
- Saturday, June 17th: East Piney Woods with Guide Paul Goldenbaum, Master Naturalist
Explore our WaterSaver Gardens with a Master Naturalist. Learn the characteristics of different drought tolerant landscapes, including Cottage, Hill Country, Manicure Xeriscape, and Spanish style. Come see what’s in bloom!
Meet at 10 a.m. in the Carriage House. Walk is free to members or with paid admission, but registration is required.
Upcoming WaterSaver Walks
- Saturday, April 15th: The Story of Water in San Antonio with Guide Linda Cace, Master Naturalist
- Saturday, May 13th: Texas Hill Country and Cottage Garden Styles with Guide Linda Cace, Master Naturalist
- Friday, June 9th: Wildscape and Spanish Courtyard Design Styles with Guide Randy Baker, Master Gardener & Master Naturalist
Bird Walks happen monthly on every third Saturday, except during the summer months.
Meet at 9:00 am in the Carriage House for a walk that starts at 9:15 am with a birding docent. Walk is free to members or with paid admission.
Don’t forget your birding checklist.
Upcoming Bird Walks
- Saturday, March 18th
- Saturday, April 15th
- Saturday, May 20th
Fall 2017 Dates
- Saturday, September 16th
- Saturday, October 21st
- Saturday, November 18th
- Saturday, December 16th