Botanical LEGO® Brick Build Challenge
Create your own nature-inspired sculpture! Participants of all ages are invited to enter the Botanical LEGO® Brick Build Challenge, inspired by the Nature Connects: Art with LEGO® Bricks exhibit on display at the Garden through the end of the year. Entries will be selected based on creativity, skill, innovation, presentation, and interpretation of the nature-inspired theme. Selected sculptures will be displayed at the Garden for a group exhibition and final judging on December 1, 2018. 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and people’s choice prizes will be awarded for each age group.
BUILD. SNAP. SUBMIT.
-Build your nature-inspired LEGO® brick sculpture at home.
-Snap a photo of it.
-Submit your photo online by 11:59 pm on Sunday, November 25, 2018 to enter the challenge.
Entry Categories: Ages 8 and under, Ages 9-14, Ages 15+, Team/Family Builds (All Ages)
1. Registration is free and open to builders of all ages.
2. Age categories: Ages 8 and under, Ages 9-14, Ages 15+, Team/Family Builds (All Ages). One entry per person per category.
3. Original LEGO® brick designs only. Sculptures made from kits will be disqualified. Only nature-themed sculptures or sculptures related to the San Antonio Botanical Garden will be considered for competition.
4. Your creation must be on a base no bigger than 24 by 24 inches. The base can be wood, cardboard, a LEGO® flat base, etc. and can be decorated to fit with your project. Your completed project may be no taller than four feet tall.
5. Use your own LEGO®, DUPLO®, Mega Bloks® or other LEGO® compatible plastic bricks.
6. San Antonio Botanical Garden retains the right to refuse entry to any sculpture it deems inappropriate for display.
7. Images of sculptures must be submitted online by 11:59 pm on Sunday, November 25, 2018 to be considered for preliminary judging. Only sculptures chosen as finalists from the online portion of the challenge will be displayed at the Garden on Saturday, December 1. Drop-in sculptures may NOT be submitted to the Garden for the group exhibit and finals.
8. Finalists will be announced by Tuesday, November 27, 2018. All finalists agree to have their sculptures on display from 10am-2pm on Saturday, December 1.
9. Sculptures chosen for the group exhibit and final round must be brought ready to the Garden on Thursday or Friday, November 29-30 between 9 am and 5 pm. Sculptures must be ready to be displayed, secured with no loose parts. Construction will not be permitted on site.
10. All finalists whose sculptures are chosen for display at the Garden will receive a pass for THREE complimentary admissions to San Antonio Botanical Garden and the Nature Connects: Art with LEGO® Bricks exhibit to use on the day of the group exhibit and finals, Saturday, December 1, (one pass for the builder and two passes for chaperones or guests). All other guests will be required to enter the Garden with a membership or paid admission.
11. Finalists’ sculptures must be picked up by 4pm on Saturday, December 1. Sculptures not retrieved by this time will become property of the San Antonio Botanical Garden. San Antonio Botanical Garden is not responsible for damage to sculptures.